Senior Software Developer
Skylab is a digital agency specialising in digital strategy and web software development and we are looking for an experienced Senior Developer with a passion for digital to join us.
Founded in 2005, we are now firmly established as one of the leading digital innovation agencies in the country and were voted one of the UK’s top ten Future Leaders by Creative England, out of a field of over 500 creative businesses.
We are based near Media City in Trafford Park Village, Manchester and we are growing our team, delivering work on behalf of key clients on multi-year projects.
Skylab has a talented team, a great culture, great clients, creates world-class work and has digital innovation at its core. We care greatly about both the quality and the craft of our work.
Not everything below is essential, as long as you have a lust for knowledge. We will happily talk to you about your natural strengths and also the areas that you are keen to improve.
Skylab is a wonderful journey and we are here to help you every step of the way.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- You will have the opportunity to contribute to the planning and pre-production phases of projects.
- You will contribute to architectural design, and produce project specifications, including estimations and task breakdowns.
- Developing websites and applications.
- Be responsible for driving the day-to-day technical decision-making process on projects, evolving systems as requirements change over time.
- Leading your project team.
- Drive best practice by improving and driving our software engineering practices such as refactoring, code reviews and automated testing.
- Work to improve our processes to ensure that we work in the best possible way.
- Have at least three years’ agency experience.
- Have worked with WordPress, developing custom themes and plugins.
- Engage in architectural discussions, mentoring of mid and junior developers and driving engineering practices towards excellence.
- Focus on modern engineering principles, code craftsmanship and automation.
- Be familiar with front-end build tools such as Gulp, SASS, Webpack (and/or similar).
- Be comfortable using the command line in Linux and/or MacOS.
- Act as an example to others in the team, so that they are confident we can do things the right way, rather than feeling pressured to cut corners.
It’d be nice if you...
- Have created sites using modern PHP frameworks (e.g. Symfony 2+, Laravel).
- Be familiar with the process and tooling of continuous integration.
- Have worked with Docker.
- Have experience working with third-party plugins, such as ACF.
- Are experienced with Twig, Composer, Git, Doctrine, jQuery.
- Are familiar with DevOps.
- Have used Amazon Web Services to deploy a high traffic web platform.
- Have experience working with a frontend SPA framework (Angular preferred).
- General sysadmin skills.